In the mailbox this evening, a press release. I quote it verbatim:
The sixth-annual Georgetown Jingle will spotlight thirteen young cancer patients receiving treatment through GeorgetownUniversity Hospital’s Pediatric Oncology Programs. Each year the charitable holiday event, with the help of these Patient Ambassadors, brings awareness to childhood cancer; honors children and families coping with cancer; and raises funds for Georgetown’s programs. The 2011 Georgetown Jingle, sponsored by JDS Designs, Inc., Four Seasons Hotel Washington, D.C., and The Washington Design Center, will be held at Four Seasons Hotel on Sunday, December 11.
Since 2006, the Georgetown Jingle has raised $1.7 million for pediatric oncology programs at Georgetown University Hospital. The family-centered event, co-chaired by Cynthia Bruno and Tamara Darvish, offers something for all ages and includes the CVS/pharmacy Children’s Workshop, DC Magazine Men’s Lounge, a silent auction, tastings by leading DC area chefs, and live entertainment, including a visit from Santa and his friends.
The event also showcases themed holiday trees and vignettes created by the Washington area’s top designers. A team from Annapolis-based furniture and accessories manufacturer Niermann Weeks will design the majestic center tree, with the theme “Peaceable Kingdom.” Their tree and all the festive creations will be sold in advance for a fixed “Buy It Now” price or sold to the highest bidder during the event’s silent auction.
Each participating designer partners with a young Patient Ambassador for theme and creative inspiration. The 2011 Georgetown Jingle participating designers and Patient Ambassadors are:
1. Camille Beers (Camille Beers Design Studio) and Hannah P., Age 11
2. Camille Saum, (Camille Saum Interior Design) and Avery P., Age 6
3. Molly Kunselman & Caryn Cramer (Corcoran College of Art + Design) and Teresa H., Age 10
4. Rosie Sauser (Cultivated Gardens, LLC) and Joseph P, Age 13
5. Wendy Danziger (Danziger Design) and Jefferson Y., Age 9
6. Gary Lovejoy (Gary Lovejoy Associates) and Adam R., Age 3
7. Gloria Blalock with Pottery Barn (Gloria Blalock Interiors) and Markel W., Age 10
8. Dee Thornton (Houseworks Interiors) and Devan T., Age 5
9. Joe Ireland & Edith Gregson (J.D. Ireland Interior Architecture & Design) and Dylan V., Age 12
10. Eleanor and Claire Niermann (Niermann Weeks) and Max R., Age 14; Ayden K. Age 4
11. Patrick J. Baglino, Jr. (Patrick J. Baglino Jr. ASID Interior Design) and Anuj D. Age 2
12. Shazalynn Cavin-Winfrey (SCW Interiors) and Kedar B., Age 6
Despite their illnesses, the Georgetown patients are looking forward to the holidays. Avery P., who has partnered with Camille Saum, completed her Leukemia treatment in May 2011. Avery loves gingerbread houses and Christmas trees. Anuj D., paired with Patrick Baglino, recently completed his treatment for HemophagocyticLymphohistiocytosis or HLH. Anuj’s favorite thing about the holidays is “playing with his brother” and his holiday wish is for “candy and toys.”
Max R., who has partnered with Eleanor McKay and the Niermann Weeks team, is currently in remission from Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). Max loves the holiday song,” Frosty the Snowman,” but his favorite thing about the holidays: “no school.” Ayden K., also paired with McKay, started maintenance treatment in May 2011 for ALL. Ayden loves “Jingle Bells” and looks forward to Santa’s visit.
The Georgetown Jingle benefits the Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplant Unit at Georgetown University Hospital. With Georgetown Jingle funds, the unit, in collaboration with Duke University and the National Institutes of Health, will be fully operational by the end of the year. The Georgetown Jingle will continue to support the Childhood Cancer Survivorship Program and, this year, will expand its support to include the development of a palliative care program, devoted to relieving pain and providing physical, psychological, and spiritual comfort to patients. The programs are directed by Dr. Aziza Shad, one of the region’s most respected oncologists.
The 2011 Georgetown Jingle will be held at Four Seasons Hotel Washington, DC, on Sunday, December 11, from 4 to 8 pm. Tickets are $150 per person, $350 for families of four, $50 for kids 3-18, and free for children under 2. For more information about the event, visitwww.georgetownjingle.com.